Education and Training in Children’s Palliative Care
PatchSA Training in Children’s Palliative Care
PatchSA offers face to face training in children’s palliative care within South Africa by qualified practitioners and education professionals.
Our training courses can be tailored to the specific needs of your organisation and your resources.
Training formats include:
- Day-long workshops and symposiums
- A 3 or 5-day Introduction to Children’s Palliative Care certificate course
Topics covered in our training courses and workshops include:
- An Introduction to Children’s Palliative Care
- Principles of effective communication
- Communicating with children about their illness
- Holding difficult conversations and breaking bad news
- Holistic Assessment and Care Planning
- Social and Spiritual Care of the child and family
- Pain and symptom management
- Managing symptoms other than pain
- End-of-Life Planning and care
- Grief, Loss and Bereavement
For information on our training courses, costs and available dates, please contact our Training Coordinator:
Phone: 083 467 6585
Post Graduate Diploma in Paediatric Palliative Care
The University of Cape Town offers a Post Graduate Diploma a Paediatric Palliative Care. The Course Convenor is Dr Michelle Meiring.
The programme leading to the Diploma in Palliative Medicine has been designed for experienced health care professionals including doctors, nurses, social workers and other disciplines who wish to gain expertise in the management of patients with life-threatening illness. The programme has been designed as a distance-learning programme using the principles of adult learning and includes practice-based learning techniques to enhance learning in the participant’s workplace.
Find out more and register here.
Online Courses in Children’s Palliative Care
The International Children’s Palliative Care Network (ICPCN) offers free online courses in children’s palliative care that have been endorsed by the University of South Wales.
Find out more from www.elearnicpcn.org